"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley & Heather Hepler



Pages: 262Calliope (Cal to her friends) wants nothing more than to stay put, to stop traveling cross-country with her mother, sleeping in a tent, abandoning all belongings whenever they pull up stakes. Eliot misses the happy times he left behind when his father decided to make a buisness out of spreading the gospel. When Cal and Eliot meet by chance in the mountains of North Carolina, they feel an immediate connection.
Against the quirky backdrops of a Christian fat camp and a Renaissance Faire, Cal struddles with her mother's waning interest in parenting, while Eliot wrestles with his father's misplaced faith. Cal and Eliot's bond grows stronger as they ace such challenges as a missing camper, a flodd, and a self-absorbed jouster who has his eye on Cal's mom. Will Cal and eliot find a safe home in each other, or is their relationship destined to be short lived?

I swear, I've read this book more than any other book I own, well have read, I don't even own this one yet! There are just so many things about this book that draw me in: quirky characters, interesting setting, and of course, the cover/title.

Calliope first of all, is such a great name! It's unique and I just fell in love with it the first time I read it. She and Eliot are such peculiar characters. They have easy back-and-forth conversations that are full of sarcasm and hidden jokes. Their love is a rare kind of love, and I just love it(:

The setting was very inviting too. I loved the aspect of a Renaissance Faire and sleeping in a tent, I just wish they had done more with the tent aspect in the book. As for the religious fat camp... I have no words to describe it!

Overall I am just in love with this book. It is a great, sappy love story and I love reading it.

Overall Rating: 4 Stars
Cover Love: 5 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)