"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Frozen

Frozen by Robin Wasserman
(previously published as Skinned)

Pages: 345
WHAT IF YOU COULD LIVE FOREVER?
The Download was supposed to change the world. It was supposed to mean the end of aging, the end of death, the birth of a new humanity. But it wasn't supposed to happen to someone like Lia Kahn. And it wasn't supposed to ruin her life.
Lia knows she should be grateful that she didn't die in the accident. The Download saved, but it also changed her, forever. She can deal with being a freak. She can deal with the fear in her parents' eyes and the way her boyfriend flinches at her touch. But she can't deal with what she knows, deep down, every time she forces herself to look in the mirror: She's not the same person she used to be.
Maybe she's not even a person at all.

Ramblings: Wow! At first it took me quite a while to get into this book, but once I did I really got into it! I have to say though, this summary doesn't do it justice. I didn't understand the summary even once I started reading the book. (I bought it because of the 3 covers! haha) So, I don't normally do this (because I destroy books when I try to describe them) but here goes!

So, Lia Kahn is a teenage girl with a weird little sister, great friends, and a really cute boyfriend! But, when she dies in a car crash the only option the hospital and her parents have are to "Download" her: scan her brain and make a replica and put it into a surrogate body. And this body is indestructible. Once the body wears out, Lia can just go get a new one. And live Forever! But these surrogates are really looked down upon in the day's society, so Lia is out-casted first by her boyfriend, then her friends, and then by her own family. The only person who treats her civilly is the weird boy at school: Auden. With his help can she overcome this trap of a body and finally figure out who she is?

Ramblings Part 2: So now that you have (hopefully) a better description of what this book is about, you can start to follow along with my review!

Characters: I'm just gonna say it: I hate her little sister, Zo! She is a brat and mean and cruel and vicious and I just can't get over it. I just wanted to rip up the book sometimes because I couldn't stand how she was acting. As for the other characters, I love Lia. She seems real even in a book that could never be real. All of the emotions she shows and the way she portrays everything seemed so realistic and genuine. Loved her! And as for Auden, I'm still trying to figure him out. I'm disappointed in him right now but I have high hopes for him in the next book.

Plot: I don't even know what to talk about here. It is such a cool idea: being able to live forever and never get hurt, but at the same time... would I want to give up most of my feelings? And watch as the rest of my family ages and I stay 17 forever? I couldn't imagine being in Lia's situation so I'm really pumped for the next book. But I didn't feel that Wasserman really explained the society they lived in and other things. I just didn't feel that amazing feeling of being trapped inside of a book and surrounded in everything that happens. Maybe with the next book I'll understand more.

Overall: I can't say this book lived up to my expectations, but it also sort of did because I didn't really have many since I was confused. But I am definitely reading the next two books in the series! Give this book a shot, it's pretty interesting!

Overall Rating: 3 Stars


p.s. look at how cool these covers are! they make a person!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I just love those covers -- it's so cool how they go together to make a person! Whoever thought of that idea must be some sort of genius. :) And I looooove the new synopsis you wrote, Katie! It definitely makes me even more intrigued to read this book than the original one does haha! x)

    Awesome review, Katie! :) Even if this book wasn't as great as you hoped, it still sounds really cool! I think I might give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)