"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Ocean and the Hourglass

The Ocean and the Hourglass by Dan O'Brien


Pages: 251
Dreams are not for the faint of heart, they are for the brave to follow. A book, an hourglass. Mocholas has always dreamt of faraway places, distant lands beyond imagination. Wandering into the library on a cold day, he finds an adventure that he had not been looking for. Transported to a distant world, Nicholas finds himself involved in sweeping adventures of a broken and lost kingdom. Filled with sea giants and ancient cities, the young man soon finds that the adventure was greater than he could have ever imagined.

Ramblings: this book definitely sounded interesting with a fun, new idea for a story, and the fact that Nicholas got put INTO the story was great! I have always wondered about that and I'm excited to have gotten a book where the main character enters a book.

Characters: the characters in this book were pretty fun and very interesting! I couldn't pronounce many of their names though. I really felt that these characters who were teens had a very adultish tone and feel to them, not so much by their actions, but the way the spoke. It isn't how any teenager I know speaks. Besides that I feel like Nicholas is a really smart guy and he taught me quite a few life lessons.

Plot: The plot was so fun! I really liked is whirl-wind of a story though. Combined with all of the action and suspense, there was also a lot of messages running throughout the story which I found really inspiring.

Overall: I enjoyed the book although at first it didn't hook me. It wasn't one of my favorites, but I wouldn't pass it up. I'm not sure if it belongs in the YA category because there was such an adultish feel to it, but a great overall read!

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)