"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Jinx

The Jinx by D.F. Lamont


ebook or paperback.
13-year old Stephen Allan Grayson is having a run of very bad luck. It feels like he's been cursed - because maybe he has been. 
Stephen flees home to protect his family, only to find that he is in the middle of a tug-of war between a cult obsessed with order and misshapen monsters known as “Chaons” who seem bent to be hunting him down. 
In the tradition of books like "The House with the Clock in Its Walls" by John Bellairs, and Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad. 
A fun, suspenseful adventure for kids aged 8-13.

(Review from Amazon)

Ramblings: It's not too often that I am requested to read Middle Aged books, so I was intrigued when I got the chance to read this one. It was pleasantly surprised by this book and I'd definitely recommend it to younger readers.

Characters: At first I was a little confused on the characters because the book is written in third person, but I soon caught on that Stephen is the main character. He is a really smart boy and very curious. I wish though that he had shown more fear at being alone and missed his family more. The main emotions I felt from him were confusion and curiosity. (The Chaons were a little scary the first time Stephen encountered them!)

Plot: This is a very interesting plot and something I'd never thought of before: how there needs to be a balance of order and chaos in the world otherwise everything would be topsy turvy! It would be cool though to roll a dice and end up with 17 like Stephen!

Overall: A very interesting and fast-paced read. Although there wasn't too much depth and no background story really, it was fun and entertaining (and at times crazy!) read that I enjoyed. I would recommend to someone between the grades of 5 and 8.

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)