"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Peculiar Treasures

Peculiar Treasures (Katie Weldon #1) by Robin Jones Gunn

Peculiar TreasuresPages: 241
Book #1 in the Katie Weldon Series picks up just minutes after the end of Christy and Todd: The College Years. Katie catches more than the bouquet at Todd and Christy’s wedding. She catches a case of senioritis, which she’s working hard to stave off, in addition to unexpected changes that keep her off balance. But one thing that’s not changing is her relationship with Rick. They’re living in the slow lane, and Katie wonders what will it take to convince him to make the eagerly anticipated lane change that will speed up the progress of their relationship.

Ramblings: This is a book I stayed up half the night reading because I could not put it down. Need I say more?
I probably don't have to, but I'm going to anyway!

The Characters: I'm used to reading the Christy Miller Collection, so I'm used to Christy's point of view, not Katie's. But I have to say it was wonderful to finally have the chance to read from Katie's point of view. She is so smart and has such a strong-willed personality. It was amazing to watch from her view, her journey with God. In case you are wondering, yes Christy is still in this book and she is still her charming self! (Oh yeah, and dreamy Todd is there too!) Rick. Ahhhh what to say about Rick? He has changed so much since I first met him in the 2nd Christy book, and I have to say I love him the most right now. He is finally close to God and he is patient and sweet and just such a gentleman.

The Plot: Still in college, Katie is starting her senior year at Rancho Corona university. But I love the new twist that this year she gets to be an adviser. She is in charge of (mostly) freshman girls and it was amazing to see her help the girls and get to know the girls. My favorite part of the plot though, was the Peculiar Treasures Wall in their hallway. It was absolutely wonderful!
Here is the verse that Katie & Christy's friendship is based upon throughout every book:
"Now therefore, if you will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then you shall be a peculiar treasure to me above all people: for all the earth is mine." -Exodus 19:5 AKJV


Overall: Of course I am stunned again by how amazing and gripping Gunn's novels are. I'm just so excited that she decided to continue the series from Katie's point of view. I hope that she never stops writing about this group!

Overall Rating: 4.5 Stars
Cover Love: 4 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)