"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lipstick Apology

Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley

Pages: 321
FOUR LITTLE WORDS WRITTEN IN LIPSTICK mean Emily must say goodbye to everything she knows.
One minute, Emily Carson is dancing on her kitchen counter at an end-of-school party. The next, she's staring at the news, witnessing the wreckage of a plane crash--the plane her parents were on. Her mother's last words are scrawled in lipstick on a tray table: EMILY PLEASE FORGIVE ME. 
Now it's fall in New York City, and Emily is desperate to leave the tragedy behind. It helps that Darlington High's swim team champion has his irresistible green eyes on her. And then there's her quirky chemistry partner slash baker-by-night, Anthony, with his classroom jests, delicious frosted donuts and firm just-friends status.
But Emily is still haunted by her mother's mysterious apology. She must find out what it means. Only then can she choose between the two boys in her life: the one who makes her forget, or the one who helps her remember, and ultimately, heal.
Sometimes goodbye is just the beginning.

This book is a few years old, so I haven't read much about it, but when I saw it in B&N I had to pick it up. I have a fear of flying, and my dad is a pilot so he doesn't understand. I didn't think that aspect of this book would be good for me, but I had to keep reading anyways.

I wasn't grabbed by this book. Yes, I enjoyed the story-line, and the characters were fantastic (especially Trent, he had me laughing-out-loud). But the book seemed to move really slow until about page 200. Which for me, is too far into the book.

Even though the reading was slow, I had to keep reading. I had to find out what the apology was about, and I was really caught up in the characters. There are a couple different messages being tackled in this book: beauty is only skin-deep, "If you walk around thinking you aren't worthy of love and respect you won't get it, true love conquers all, sometimes the best boy is the shy kid in the corner, but I guess it is mostly just about loving and accepting yourself for who are. And that is just the best message I can receive from a book.

Overall, the book was slow to get through (it took me about a week... until today where I read 150 pages) but what was inside the book was just amazing. It is heart warming and the book just left me happy. I was happy.

Overall Rating: 3 Stars
Cover Love: 4 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you one-hundred percent! It's so much easier to love a book when it hooks you from the beginning (or close to the beginning, at least). I'm the sort of person who believes in awesome hooks!

    But I'm really glad that you liked the book in the end! :) It sounds so adorable and heartwarming. I think I might pick it up if I see it around!

    Awesome review, Katie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one, but it does sound good. I'll keep it in mind. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)