"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Saturday, August 6, 2011

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells by Rose Pressey

E-book
Elly Blair welcomes the chance to escape her ex-fiance and job from hell when Grandma Imelda, ready to retire to sunny Florida, calls for her to take over her little southern cafe.
Elly has no idea her grandmother has baked up magic for the unsuspecting townsfolk for thirty years–and now Grandma Imelda insists that Elly use her own hitherto unsuspected magical powers to carry on the family tradition.
But Elly’s new at this stuff. Her dishes don’t turn out as full of smidgens of enchantment and dashes of wishes come true as she’d hoped. When handsome customer Rory Covington takes a bite of the wrong burger, he ends up capturing the attention of every woman in town. Elly doesn’t know if her feelings for Rory are true or based on her magic gone awry.
Tom Owenton is an investigator the National Organization for Magic sent to look into the magical mishap. Unless Elly can reverse the spell, the cafe will be closed permanently. Tom is more than willing to help Elly out of this magical pickle, but she’s not sure she should accept his offer.
Elly only has forty-eight hours to find a way to reverse the spell, or she’ll lose the cafe and never discover if her feelings for Rory are real.


Hmm, magic, a cafe, a quirky girl, and a handsome man? Who wouldn't be interested!

Elly is an amazing character. She is 28 years old and full of life. She is quirky, funny, clumsy, and full of spunk! I laughed out loud at times because of Elly. When she decided to take over the cafe, she was way in over her head! I knew that this was going to be a great book. I really connected with Elly; I could see her as a real person that I would love to meet.

As for the other characters in the book, I loved them all! Well, personally I didn't like Kim (She is a brat of an ex-girl friend who thinks only of herself!) But she really made the story interesting. Rory was such a gentleman! I loved his personality, but I felt bad that he got so wrapped up in a mess of magic. Of all the minor characters, Mary Jane was my favorite. She is Elly's best  friend and she is so funny! She is watchful of Elly and always has her best interest in mind. Sometimes she can be a little to talkative, but she brings a lot of life to the story and was every enjoyable to read about.

Rose Pressey's writing was light and fun. It flowed and I found myself flying through the book. I really took an interest in this book which surprised me. I found myself wishing I could go to the Mystic Cafe and meet all the characters. I guess I was really wrapped up in this book.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. The plot was unique and fun. I would recommend it to most people, because although there is some paranormal twists to it, and I'm not too into paranormal, but it wasn't overwhelming. There was romance, a little mystery, and lots of magic.

Overall Rating: 4.5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around. I thought about it but I usually don't read adult fiction. I'm a big YA reader, not that's I'm YA. =) Sounds good though, may have to make an exception.

    Thanks for visiting StuckInbooks.com

    Following back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this way but it sounds really funny! Am still on my dystopian aversion at the moment so will def look into this one. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)