"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Boyfriend List

The Boyfriend List (15 guys, 11 shrink appointments, 4 ceramic frogs, and me, Ruby Oliver) by E. Lockhart

Pages:: 229
Ruby Oliver is fifteen and has a shrink. She knows it's unusual, but give her a break--she's had a rough ten days. In the past ten days she:
  • lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
  • lost her best friend (Kim)
  • Lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
  • did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
  • did something advanced with a boy (#15)
  • had an argument with a boy (#14)
  • drank her first beer (someone handed it to her)
  • got caught by her mom (ag!)
  • had a panic attack (scary)
  • lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
  • failed a math test (she'll make it up)
  • hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
  • became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
  • had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!)
But don't worry--Ruby lives to tell the tale.
And make more lists.

E. Lockhart is an amazing writer. I love her stories! I recently read Dramama, and I've also read Fly On the Wall. They were both really great stories so I was excited to read this one. I didn't like it as much as Dramarama, but it was pretty good.

Ruby Oliver is a peculiar character. She is very opinionated and I don't find many characters that are. She is learning to deal with her friends, feelings, and most importantly her family. Her family life is quite strange! I don't know if I would be able to survive in a house with her parents. They never let her say a word!

The way this book is written, sometimes it was hard to figure out what was going on. The past, present, and future were all over this book in no particular order. It didn't really seem to have a beginning, middle, and end. It was just all there.

There were lots of characters in this book as well. I knew there would be, but I wasn't prepared for this. It was hard at times to remember which boy did what and when they did it. It's hard to realize everything happened in ten days. It could've been ten months!

Overall I wasn't impressed with the organization of this book, but it was a really cute story. I enjoyed reading it and I want to read the other books in the series. This is a great summer read and perfect for sitting out on the beach (which I did!!) and soaking up the sun.

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)