"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Dark City

Relic Master: The Dark City by Catherine Fisher

Pages: 372
Anara is a world mysteriously crumbling to devastation.Nothing is what it seems: Ancient relics emit technologically advanced powers, members of the old Order ar hunted by the governing Watch yet revered by the people, and the great energy that connects all seems to also be destroying all.

The only hope rests on Galen, a master of the Order, and his sixteen-year-old apprentice, Raffi, who have heard rumors of a secret relic that could help save Anara. The Watch have heard the rumors too, and want the relic for themselves. Raffi and Galen hunt for it in the dark city of Tasceron.

BUT THE WATCH ARE HUNTING THEM.

I am a huge Catherine Fisher fan. I just love the fantasy worlds that she creates and the characters that live in them. I was very please with the first book in her new series Relic Master.

Anara is a very interesting world. It is falling apart. I love the animals and peculiar plants that grow, along with the seeds that those plants produce. From an underwater forest to a city encased in darkness, I never know what to expect with Fisher.

I tore through the book and I couldn't put it down. The characters are amazing. I love how hard Raffi tries to please his master and how much he wants to learn. Galen's secret is a constant struggle throughout the book and an amazing external and internal conflict. My favorite character was Carys. She is a very interesting and cunning girl. She is very good at hiding her emotions and decieving people.

Overall this is a fast-paced book that will leave you wishing for more. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat and flipping pages faster and faster as the book continues. I was not diassapointed with this new book. I absolutely loved the last paragraph of the book and I can't wait to get the second installment in the series.

Overall Rating: 4.5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I read this one a while ago. It's amazing how we had two different experiences with the same book! You say it was fast paced, and I found it took me forever to get through. I love how one book can produce different reactions from people. I do agree with you about the writing. It was a well developed book/fantasy world, it just didn't grab me the way I thought it would.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)