"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Pages: 366
IN THE SOCIETY, THE OFFICIALS DECIDE.
WHO YOU LOVE. WHERE YOU WORK. WHEN YOU DIE.
Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certaintly that he is the one . . . until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path no one else has ever dared follow--between perfection and passion.

Matched is a story for right now and a storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

I haven't read any reviews on this book because I wanted to read the book and see how it affected me first. I waited a while after this book came out to read it also--after all the hype. At first I wasn't grabbed by this book and I thought it would take me forever to get through. The first day I read this was slow-paced and I almost forced myself into it. But after about the first 50 or so pages things started to get interesting.

The characters in this book were overall amazing. Peculiar and daring, but sweet and caring. Xander is so wonderful. But he is too gentle I thought. And Ky. Ky is new, different, wild, adventerous even. They were both matched to Cassia, but from the start I knew which boy would capture Cassia's heart. I was right and wrong.

I did think that Xander should have been more involved in the story. More official dates and outings after being Matched and everything. The book was mainly focused on Ky, which was good and bad. One thing I loved about Ky was his drawings and writing. It was his story. It reminded me so much of The Book Theif. I am in love with that book. And in the same way, Matched, or Ky, touched my heart.

The Officers or Officals, whatever name they go by, are just plain cruel. (It was a great twist to the story, but still.) Their tricks and experiements with the Matching Pool. They had to know it would only lead to trouble! In this book, what is expected is unexpected, and what you think is unexpected is expected. Confused? Start reading.

Ally Confie's writing flowed and once I got into the book it kept me reading. I easily found myself lost in the book and I looked down to be a hundred pages more through the book then I was when I started. Time just flew by. This is a great fantasy book that tells a story of whats right: technology, or your heart.

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you said, especially about wanting more Xander, I actually sort of hoped Cassia and Xander would end up together, I'm torn between Xander and Ky! Can't wait for Crossed.

    I love your blog, I'm now following back!

    Jade @ Ink Scratchers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)