"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled 'This could change your life'."
-Helen Exley

"A novel is the chance to try on a different life for size."
-Marion C. Garretty

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

If You Come Softly

If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson

Pages: 181
Jeremiah feels good inside his own skin. That is, when he's in his own Brooklyn neighborhood. But now he's going to be attending a fanc prep school in Manhattan, and black teenage boys don't exactly fit in there. So it's a surprise when he meets Ellie the frist week of school. In one frozen moment their eyes lock, and after that they know they fit together--even though she's Jewish and he's black. Their worlds are so different, but to them that's not what matters. They have something private and apart from the rest of the world. But the rest of the world doesn't neccessarily see it like that.

After reading The House You Pass on the Way by Jacqueline Woodson, I knew I wanted to read more of her books. Though short, they are heart-capturing stories that haven't left me dissapointed yet.

This book was interesting because lately I've been dealing with a similar issue as Ellie and Miah. I loved their story: how they met, how they fell in love, and ultimately, how they were seperated. First love can be difficult, and this one certainly was. Though short, and not many written feelings, you could just feel and understand how Ellie was feeling at the end of the book. It was just beautiful.

Race is a big part of this book and it makes you realize that even though we are all supposed to be treated eqaul, sometimes we aren't. And the ending to this book is just one of many reasons of why we need to change.

There isn't too much to say about this book other than I loved it. If you haven't read it and you are looking for a quick but touching and inspiring read, then pick up If You Come Softly. One paragraph in the book (which I used for my Teaser Tuesday this week) was so inspiring. It is one of THE BEST lines in a book that I have ever read. I'm white, and I wonder, how can I use that to change the world?

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have an amazing day filled with laughter, friends, and a good book :)